Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dealing with diapers and papers


I'd hear soft weeping sounds beside me. I'd blink once...twice then check the time. “Umaga na pala,” I'd tell myself. Oh, and yes. He'd be awake. My breathing alarm clock. I'd get up. Drown myself to an irreplaceable happiness seeing him smile and giggle. Pleased, I'd lift him up and let him enjoy an everyday dose of sunlight. And then, it's bath time. Dress him up. Clean his mouth. Give him his vitamins. Maybe play with him a little bit. Then put him back to sleep. Until finally, it's clock-in time.

And...that's just how my every morning is spent. What happens then, depends on my daily tasks as an online copywriter, and on my every day adventures as a first-time, full-time mom!
During my idle time, or whenever I'm done with my daily tasks,
I see to it that I spend time with my baby :)
It's been four months since this kind of routine has started. While it may appear as something that's monotonous, let me tell you, it's not. Thus far, I have faced various challenges from which I definitely learned a lot. Be more efficient, self-sufficient, patient, optimistic, and ready to face whatever life throws at me (whether it's a curve ball or a straight one) are few of the things my experiences have taught me.

But then again, you may be wondering why I opted to continue working from home when my husband has a steady job and that we don't have a yaya to assist me. The answers are simple. One, I want to continuously hone my skills as a writer; and two, it'd be nice to add a little more to our family's savings noting the continuous and concurrent price hike of almost anything and everything in the market today. As a parent, I want to provide the best for my baby—for good mothers don't settle for anything less!

Accordingly, if you're a full-time mom who wants to help your hubby as well in giving your baby everything he/she needs, here are my two cents worth you might want to consider on how to keep a career while being a full-time mom!
  • Be efficient
Whether working online (freelance) or managing a home-based physical business, say a small bake shop, try your very best to be effective as an entreprenuer and, of course, as a mom. This way, you wouldn't fail to do your responsibilities and miss small details by being both! Also, make use of the time you have, however little that is, in “delivering the goods” to your employers or clients. This is for you to have an extra time with your little one once you've accomplished all your tasks right away. Never procrastinate. Remember moms, now that you have your angel in your arms, you don't own your time.
  • Be self-sufficient
Never put your responsibilities as a mom on anyone else's shoulders; but, to yours (even if you're working from home). By doing so, you can be assured of your baby's safe condition and on top of that, you can rejoice in seeing his/her milestones which I'm sure you wouldn't want to miss! Also, note that baby must always comes first, so trusting him/her to someone you don't know that much might put your baby at stake!
  • Be patient
One of the things I really think is important in keeping a career while being a hands-on mom is to be patient. It's because dealing with your work and your baby at the same time means juggling two things that are unpredictable and, yes, stressful. Thus, you must always keep composed and focused, especially if your baby started crying non-stop and your deadline is almost sneaking up on you. This usually happens to me, I must admit, that's why I've learned to deal with them one at a time. Of course, baby comes first, then everything else follows. Bear in mind moms that facing this kind of challenge with hothead might result to an unhappy baby and mediocre work performance. So, be patient.
  • Be optimistic
This definitely helps in times when you think you're not doing well in either roles you're playing. Remember, never ever give up on yourself and don't let challenges as a working, hands-on mom put you down. Because when you do, you let your baby, and your family down as well. It helps to think positively, trust me!
  • Be ready
Being a mom is a part of your life when you actually don't know what to expect because every day brings sudden excitement and thrilling adventures. What more if you're still working, right? Therefore, it certainly pays to be ready! Arm yourself with brave heart, enough wisdom, and true faith that you can overcome everything that blocks your way.

Staying at home shouldn't be a hindrance for you, moms, to earn extra for the family. Go into a line of industry that interests you, be it online or home-based physical business. The important thing is you’re still able to focus on your top priority, your family.
-30-



 

No comments:

Post a Comment