Wednesday, January 16, 2013

And there was Kevin!

Having heard the news (confirmation) that I was gonna be a mom was like music to my ears. It made me feel enraptured, but...a little bit scared at the same time. :( I thought I was still young to be a mother...though, honestly as a kid, I dreamed of having a baby at 24. But hey, I got pregnant at 22 -- two years earlier than what I planned for. 

The love for this life's miracle, however, was strong enough to conquer such fear... so I continued with my pregnancy. Also, seeing my boyfriend's (who's now my husband) reaction and enthusiasm after hearing the good news inspired me! 


But, let me say this, it wasn't easy. 


I had to quit my job, put up with my morning sickness, accept the changes in my life, and mentally and emotionally psyche myself up for the big day. Oh yes, there was a lot of vomiting, headaches, weariness, and stretch marks! (Yup I got mine early...on my second trimester)


You could imagine how hard it was to adjust and accept such "adventure". Then again, it has just begun.


October 24 came, another normal day...or so I thought. 


As usual, my husband left for work at 7 a.m. while I had the luxury to cop more z's until 9 a.m. Then, after satisfying myself with good sleep, I did my daily routine: eat breakfast and go to work (in front of a laptop, I work from home as a copy writer). Simply put, never did I think that I'd be giving birth anytime SOON! Just two days ago, I had my check up with my OB-gyne and she said my cervix wasn't opening yet. So, I really didn't expect. But you know what, I was praying that day..."Lord, sana po manganak na'ko. Gusto ko nang manganak!"


And apparently, He heard my prayer.


At around 4:30 in the afternoon, I started to feel some cramping and stomach pains, but I didn't mind. I continued watching Striptease (haha). It was then after two hours that the pain intensified. I asked myself, "Manganganak na ba ako? Eto na yun?" I texted my husband about it and prayed that he'd come home on time, and fortunately he did. After having dinner, h
e decided to bring me to the hospital since I could barely walk or talk! It was just so painful!


My husband's friend, Ube, was the one who brought us to the hospital. It was raining. Gloomy weather.


I was directed to the ER and was checked. The doctor said my cervix wasn't open yet! So, at around 11 p.m. I was transferred to the so-called labor room--the very room that witnessed how much I suffered. 

Labor was one hell of an experience! (I know you moms out there couldn't agree more, haha!) 
I couldn't remember how many painkillers did the nurse give me, but I still felt the pain. I wonder why :( 


That very moment, when I was in deep pain, made me realize how bold mothers could get just to go through such great battle in their lives. It made me realize that mothers are definitely great heroines in their own right. ...and I was afraid that I couldn't win over my own battle. 


In that labor room, I was alone. No one, even my husband, was permitted to enter. So, I was alone battling...or so I thought.


At 3 a.m., the throbbing heightened! I remember asking the nurse "Nasaan na si Doc?"


Because of my continuous ranting, the nurse asked me, "Ano, CS ka na natin?" 


I said, "Oo. Ayoko na eh." 


"Hindi pwede mam. Maawa ka sa baby mo," she replied.


Left with no other choice, I endured the pain until my doctor arrived. 

The delivery, compared to labor, 
was quite easy. I could hear my doc saying "Tuluy-tuloy mo lang ang ire Jess. Ayan good job Jess."


Then, as I gave my one last, strong push...I heard his cry. A nurse shouted "5:31 a.m.!" They showed me my little angel...then I fell asleep.

It was October 25, another normal day...or so I thought.




Kevin's very first photo taken October 25 at 6:40 a.m.


My husband, all smiles, carrying our dear Kevin! :)

Oh, and that's me. A day after I gave birth! Haha!
And as a beautiful baby boy was delivered, a majestic mom was likewise born.
And this was the start of something great one would've never imagined!

"When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world." - John 16:21
-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment